Tooltips are a familiar sight in desktop applications. They provide contextual information when the mouse hovers over a section of the UI. Walt shows how the hover tips work in the code editors in Visual Studio 2015. Learn how they provide extra information about variables, parameters, types and tags.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- I'll bet you are familiar with the concept…of a ToolTip, or a miniature floating window…that pops up as you move your mouse…around your computer screen.…Visual Studio has some helpful hover tips…that work this way in the code editor screens.…For this demonstration, I am using a Universal Windows app.…And I'll show you the hover tips in the XAML file…and in the C# file.…Let's start by looking at the code in the C# file.…Here's what I'm talking about.…Let's move my mouse over the using statement on line 8.…
As you can see, this hover tip pops up.…Now this little hover tip is not giving me…a lot of useful information.…It's just saying that this represents…a namespace named Windows,…where this represents a namespace called Windows.UI.Xaml.…It will get more interesting as I hover over the class…and the members of this class.…So let's do that.…Here's a hover tip that tells me about the MainPage.…It tells me that it's an empty page that can be used…on its own or navigated to within a frame.…And this also derives from a Page class.…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Beginner
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.