Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Use the Watch windows, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- In this video, I want to look at…the Watch Windows in Visual Studio.…I'll be using this app, ExampleApp.…And I'll be working with some of the classes in here.…This Book class, this BookStore class,…and the user interface components…in this MainWindow.xaml file.…If you look at the UI, you'll see there's two buttons…and a calendar control.…Keep that in mind as I start debugging the application.…I'll choose a date from the calendar…and then I'll click on this Watch Windows button.…
Now I've hit my breakpoint…and I can see all my code and my variables.…In some of the other videos in this chapter,…I've talked about the Data Tip.…You hover your mouse over a variable,…and you get a data tip.…Data tips are great, they're quick,…they're easy to work with.…But there are times when you are debugging…when you want to keep the values visible…at all times stuck to the side of the window,…or docked to the side of the window.…So that's the purpose of the Watch Window.…I can take this variable, this greeting variable,…right-click on it, and choose Add Watch.…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.