Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Use the VSHost for faster debugging, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- The first time you debug a C#…or a Visual Basic project in Visual Studio,…the debugger has to do a lot of work.…It has to create the app process,…load the .NET assemblies, and do the app domain,…and initialize the debugger.…This takes time.…The more projects you have in the solution,…the longer this can take.…To prevent seeing this overhead every time you debug,…Visual Studio provides the Visual Studio Hosting Process,…also known as the vshost.…It is created whenever you build a project in Visual Studio.…
I'm using this PixelSmith project,…and if you look at the Properties section here,…double-click on this Properties node,…and go to the Debug settings,…you'll see this checkbox at the bottom of the screen,…Enable the Visual Studio hosting process.…I've turned it off by default in this project.…Let's see what happens when I compile my project.…Now I'm looking at this bin folder.…If you don't see the bin folder,…you can enable it by clicking on the Show All Files button.…
And inside the bin folder,…in the Debug folder,…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.