Learn how to use the Task List to keep an up-to-date list of tasks for your application right in Visual Studio. The best part is the tasks are created directly in the code comments, and you can use the Task List to navigate directly to each task.
- The Task List in Visual Studio is best thought of…as a navigation aid for finding tokens…in your code comments.…I'll start by talking about these tokens.…They are visible in the Tools options dialog.…Here in the "Task List" section.…There's four pre-defined tokens.…HACK, TODO, UNDONE and this long one,…UnresolvedMergeConflict.…You can add your own tokens by typing in…a new word here, then pressing "Add".…
And before you press "Add", pick the…priority of the token.…I'll choose "High" for mine.…Then click "OK".…The next step is to show the Task List…in Visual Studio.…Here it is.…And now we're ready.…You go to your code, you find a comment…like I have here on line 15, and you…type the token at the beginning of the line.…After a few seconds, the task shows up…on the list at the bottom of the screen.…
As you can see, I can type the word "TODO"…in all caps, in all lowercase, in any mixed case I want,…it still shows up.…So for this line of code I'll mark it with a "Hack" token…and for the last line of code, this last comment,…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover visualizing code and markup with structure guidelines in Visual Studio 2017; refactor enhancements in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for C# in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for Visual Basic in Visual Studio 2017; smart peek options; and CodeMap in Visual Studio 2017.
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.