Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Use the Locals and Autos windows, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- The Autos and Locals Window are two special Watch Windows…in which the variables are automatically added…by the debugger.…They behave very similar to the Watch Window…except you cannot add variables yourself.…I'll show you what I mean.…Click on this Run button.…Now look at the bottom of my screen.…You'll see there are three tabs down here,…Autos, Locals, and Watch 1.…This is the default layout of Visual Studio.…If you don't see the Autos Window or the Locals Window,…you can add them.…
Just make sure you're in a debugging session like I am.…Then go to the Debug menu,…and choose these two items.…We'll start by looking at what's in the Autos Window,…and before I show you,…let's get into this method,…this WorkWithBook method.…So I'll press F11 to step into that method.…Then, we'll talk about what's happening.…As you move through your code in your application,…the Autos Window shows you the lines of code…nearby the current execution point.…
So in my case, I'm in C sharp, so it's going to show me…a few lines of code above this line of code.…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.