Using comments in code is a form of documentation. It's common to see comments in every code and markup language. Visual Studio provides a set of commenting tools that's available across all the editors. Learn how to add and remove comments from the IDE toolbar and menu, and use key shortcuts.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- There are two kinds of documentation…that are frequently written by developers.…First, we have code comments.…Second, we have help files.…In this video, I'll cover the code comment tools.…Later in the course, I'll cover how to make pop-up help…for code constructs.…I'll show the comment tools that work…in HTML files,…WPF XML files, C# and VB files.…But just keep this in mind…that all the tools I'm showing you today,…pretty much work the same across all of the editors.…And I'll start by looking inside the C# project…here in this Program.cs file.…
Comments are sections of code or markup…that are not compiled or interpreted by the parsers.…Essentially, they are visible to us…and our fellow developers…but invisible to the finished application.…Their original objective was to allow the developer…to declare their intent for the code.…So they could come in here, type in a comment.…In C#, that's two slashes.…Now, another developer or my future self…can read this comment and remember…why the code was written this way.…But they are commonly used in another way…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Beginner
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.