The Visual Studio Test Explorer is well adapted to working with third party testing frameworks. But it has a definite way of displaying the test methods in the UI. xUnit has a set of configuration settings that change the way the tests are displayed in Test Explorer. This tutorial looks at how to use the app.config XML file to change the xUnit test name to a more readable format.
- [Voiceover] I've talked about naming conventions…elsewhere in this course.…I suggested that you should use a descriptive name…for your class.…In my case, I'm using a scenario name,…Getting a Payment Should.…And I've also suggested using a long name…for the test method.…In this case it's what should happen.…Returns date 30 days in the future…when proposed date falls on a weekday.…This works great for describing it,…but if you look in the Test Explorer,…you'll see that it truncates the end of the method name.…In Test Explorer, you can Group by Class.…
Now I can see the methods for GettingAPaymentDate_Should…listed here.…Unfortunately, they still show the fully qualified name,…so it's BrokerageLib.xUnit.GettingAPayment_Should and so on.…It's possible to add an app config file to my xUnit Project…and tell Text Explorer that I only wanna see…the method name.…Here's how you do that.…The file will be called App.config.…
And here I need to use an xUnit-specific syntax.…So I'm setting the method display to show in Test Explorer.…
- Examining types of frameworks
- Choosing a naming convention
- Creating unit tests
- Running unit tests with Visual Studio
- Modifying and correcting code
- Handling exceptions
- Installing and using nUnit
- Viewing test results with CodeLens
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 08/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover live unit testing and creating a project with the unit test framework.
1. Create a Simple Unit Test Framework
2. Unit Testing Conventions
Choose a naming convention5m 59s
3. Work with Visual Studio Unit Testing Framework
4. Work with xUnit
5. Work with nUnit
6. Additional Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.