Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Understand defect categories, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- In this video, I'll look at a selection…of software defects, also known as bugs,…that appear constantly in the application development…life cycle.…As I look at each one, I'll discuss how Visual Studio…can help troubleshoot these errors.…I'll discuss a few of the defect categories here.…This list is not exhaustive.…There are many areas that can cause problems…in your application.…Syntax errors are where the code you've written…doesn't meet the expectations of the programming language.…A syntax error will eventually cause…a compile or runtime error.…
Visual Studio is very good at finding syntax errors,…and marking them so that you can see them in your code.…Usually, it does the marking…a few seconds after you change the code.…In this example, I have a method on line 54,…called CalculateTotalSales,…that takes two parameters,…grossSale, and taxRate.…On line 50, I'm attempting to call that method,…but I'm only passing in a single parameter.…Visual Studio sees that, and puts a red squiggle…underneath the CalculateTotalSale method name…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.