Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Traverse the call stack, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- By using the Visual Studio call stack window,…you can view the method calls that are currently on the stack.…Before I show you that in the Visual Studio debugger,…let's review what we know about call stacks.…The grey box on the left represents the call stack.…The orange boxes on the right represent the functions…or methods in my application.…When the Main Function makes the call to Function A,…the run time stores the return location on the call stack.…You can see it represented in the black box.…That way, when the call to Function A returns,…the run time knows where to return to in the main method.…
In this case, it needs to return back to the line 20.…Once the call returns, the run time…pops the item off the call stack.…Eventually, you'll see a call stack that looks like this,…where Main on line 20 calls Function A,…and Function A on line 27 calls Function B, and so on.…You can see a representation of this call stack…in the Visual Studio debugger windows.…More importantly, you can use the call stack window…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.