Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Tour the debug tool windows, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- There are lots of specialized debugging windows…available in Visual Studio.…Let me show you how to see them…and add or remove them from the IDE.…Before I start, let's talk about…the normal layout of our IDE,…without debugging windows.…I'll start by clicking on Window,…and then choosing Reset Window Layout.…This resets Visual Studio back to the defaults.…Now I'll open up this C# file…and you'll see the standard windows…that appear in an edit session.…
Over in the left side of the screen,…is the Server Explorer and the Toolbox.…On the right side of the screen is the Solution Explorer,…with several tabs,…and at the bottom of this screen is the Properties window.…That's what you see when you're editing.…What do you see when you debug?…You see a different set of windows.…Over here on the right side of the screen…is this thing called the Diagnostics window,…and it's showing a live view of what's happening…in my application, in my process memory.…It's doing a diagnostics calculation.…
I don't want to see this for the rest of the demo,…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.