Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Stepping through code in the debugger, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- Once you have break points in your code,…you'll want to step through the code and observe…the behavior of the application.…This video shows how to effectively navigate code…while debugging.…The code that I'll be navigating is…in this Financial.cs file.…In this method, CalculateMonthlyPayment,…and it's in several button handlers…inside this MainWindow.xaml.cs file.…I'll start by putting a break point on Line 10.…And then I'll debug the application.…
And click on this button.…So now I'm sitting at this break point,…and I'll start using the tools to step through my code…and rewind my code, and skip lines of code.…Okay, working with the buttons in this area of the toolbar,…in this area right here, and I'll also be working with…some of the items in the Debug menu.…Stop Debugging, Continue.…I'll look at these items here.…Step Into, Step Over and Step Out,…and a few others.…I'm sitting on Line 10, and I want to move…one line down in my application.…
To do that, I can click on this button here.…It's called a Step Into button.…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.