Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Smart peek options, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 05 Code Editors.
- [Instructor] Having a way to look up code definitions…is very valuable,…so you won't be surprised to learn…that Visual Studio has many ways to do that.…I'll start by looking in this Program.cs file.…Here inside my Main method…and also in this Example2 method…I'm calling this UpdatePrice method inside this Book class,…so I might be interested, as a programmer,…in learning more about what's inside this type…or what's inside this method.…To learn this information…I can right-click on the Book class…and choose one of these four options.…
This is what I'm going to be showing in today's demo.…I'll show Go To Definition,…Peek Definition, Find All References,…and View Call Hierarchy.…You'll notice that each one of these menu items…has the affiliated shortcut keys over here,…if you like shortcut keys.…The first demo will be to look up the type definition…for the Book class.…I'll use Go To Definition.…Visual Studio takes me over to the code file…that contains the code for this class…and highlights the word Book inside that code file.…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover visualizing code and markup with structure guidelines in Visual Studio 2017; refactor enhancements in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for C# in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for Visual Basic in Visual Studio 2017; smart peek options; and CodeMap in Visual Studio 2017.
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.