Learn how to apply quick actions with the new Visual Studio 2105 light bulb feature. It monitors your code and suggests edits that can fix code errors or improve your code. Walt also shows how to use light bulbs to start refactoring the code.
- You can't work in Visual Studio 2015 for very long…without seeing the light bulb tool appear.…It can appear in various places in the code editor.…I can make one appear in my code here in this Tour class,…by moving up to one of these using statement lines.…Look over in the margin, you'll see there's…a yellow light bulb over there.…That is the light bulb.…It's also called a quick action.…It's purpose is to provide suggestions for quick actions…in my code, and suggest edits that can fix code errors,…or it can also suggest refactoring ideas.…
So let's see what kind of ideas it has for me.…I'll move over here, put my arrow…over top of the light bulb, and then I get a drop-down,…and it shows me the one choice I have:…to remove unnecessary usings.…So what does that mean?…Well, if you look, I've got all these namespaces,…but I'm not using any of the types…in those namespaces, except the Math class.…So, lines two through five are not being used.…So, if I remove those, it just cleans up my code.…
So let's do the action.…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover visualizing code and markup with structure guidelines in Visual Studio 2017; refactor enhancements in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for C# in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for Visual Basic in Visual Studio 2017; smart peek options; and CodeMap in Visual Studio 2017.
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.