This tutorial is a preparation step for the upcoming demonstrations in the chapter. See how to connect to the alternate Northwind compare database in Server Explorer. his database is similar to the Northwind database, but has modified data and modified schemas.
- [Voiceover] I'll be working with the comparison features…that are part of SQL Server Data Tools.…To do that and have an effective demonstration,…I need a database that has some differences.…So when I do the demonstration,…there's something to look at.…That database is here, this NorthwindV13_Compare.…Inside this CompareSchema folder, I'll copy this,…then I'll put it inside this Database Edit folder.…This way, I've got a copy if I need to roll back…and restart the demonstration,…I got a copy in the original location.…Now I'll switch over to Visual Studio…and make the connection in Server Explorer.…
Now I attach to my Database file that I just added,…and I'll give it a logical name.…I'll verify that I can see my tables.…Now I've got two connections, one to the original…Northwind Database and one to this comparison version…of the database.…I'm ready to do the next step,…which is to look at the data comparison.…
- Exploring integration with Azure data sources and other Microsoft databases
- Working with SQL Server Express LocalDB
- Connecting to databases with Server Explorer
- Working with database tables
- Manipulating tables with the SQL Server Object Explorer
- Creating queries and custom views
- Creating stored procedures
- Comparing databases
- Building a data project in Visual Studio
- Refactoring a database object
- Deploying the database
- Connecting to Azure databases
- Deploying data projects to Azure
- Integrating Visual Studio with Entity Framework
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: installing the SSDT features and why LocalDB is essential for developers.
1. Database and Data Integration
The Azure data sources2m 35s
2. SQL Server Express LocalDB
3. Server Explorer
4. SQL Server Object Explorer
5. Queries, Views, and Stored Procedures
6. Compare databases
7. SQL Server Data Project
8. Azure Data
Get an Azure account1m 10s
9. Entity Framework
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.