Data models are rarely static. When a change occurs in the database, for example a table is added or modified, the data model in no longer accurate. This tutorial looks that the tools for modifying the EDM from the database side or the model side.
- [Voiceover] Your data model will not be static.…Things will change.…It could be that you add a new table to your database,…or change a field name, or add a field to a table,…or change the data type of a field.…Those changes need to somehow get over to your model side…of the mapping.…The same is also true, you could have a model…where you modify a property on a class and you need…to make sure that the database matches.…Some of the tools you can use to handle this modification…are listed here, Update Model from Database,…go reread the information from the database…and update the model.…
This is similar to the original wizard that I ran,…only it will always update items that have changed.…I can also go in the opposite direction…in the model first approach.…You built your model, you can generate the database…from that model.…Take a look at this first item, Update Model from Database.…That brings up this Wizard.…It shows me Tables.…It says Select items to add to the model,…so maybe I have a new table.…I can drill down and show that table…
- Exploring integration with Azure data sources and other Microsoft databases
- Working with SQL Server Express LocalDB
- Connecting to databases with Server Explorer
- Working with database tables
- Manipulating tables with the SQL Server Object Explorer
- Creating queries and custom views
- Creating stored procedures
- Comparing databases
- Building a data project in Visual Studio
- Refactoring a database object
- Deploying the database
- Connecting to Azure databases
- Deploying data projects to Azure
- Integrating Visual Studio with Entity Framework
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: installing the SSDT features and why LocalDB is essential for developers.
1. Database and Data Integration
The Azure data sources2m 35s
2. SQL Server Express LocalDB
3. Server Explorer
4. SQL Server Object Explorer
5. Queries, Views, and Stored Procedures
6. Compare databases
7. SQL Server Data Project
8. Azure Data
Get an Azure account1m 10s
9. Entity Framework
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.