Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Locate custom templates, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 08 Extend and Customize the Visual Studio Environment.
- [Instructor] I've got some custom templates…I'd like to install.…They're inside my exercise files folder…in the assets folder, and then in the templates folder.…They are zip files that contain…the files included in each template.…The zip file also contains a special…XML manifest file that contains settings…and instructions for how to…display the template in Visual Studio.…You'll see how to create…these zip files later in the course.…For the moment, we'll just assume…that we have these template files…that we want to add to Visual Studio.…On the right side of the screen are the folders…that Visual Studio monitors for custom templates.…
Every time you start Visual Studio,…it checks these folders for template files.…If it finds a new one, it adds it…to the list of available templates.…These folders are inside My Documents folder,…then inside a folder called Visual Studio 2015,…and then a Templates folder.…If you are using Visual Studio 2017 or other version,…look in the documents folder…for a comparable folder for your installed version.…
- Installing extensions
- Using CodeMaid, Productivity Power Tools, and other Visual Studio extensions
- Adding external tools
- Creating custom item and project templates
- Building your own custom extensions
- Creating VSIX installers
- Sharing custom extensions
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover installing and exploring extensions, creating custom project and item templates, and creating custom extensions.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Install Extensions
2. Explore Extensions
3. Integrate External Tools
4. Create Custom Project and Item Templates
5. Create Custom Extensions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.