The LocalDB automatic instance feature ensures that an application database is automatically add to SQL Server. This tutorial looks at the Visual Studio SQL Server Object Explorer and how to use it to see what databases are installed.
- [Voiceover] Sometimes you need to know…what databases have been automatically installed…into a local DB instance.…Use the SQL Server Object Explorer in Visual Studio…to find this information.…Let me point out that I don't have any projects…or solutions open, so I'm just using…SQL Server Object Explorer to learn about my databases.…We'll open the window.…It's in this window that you can see…all the databases for each SQL Server instance.…I've got several instances showing here.…Your list might be different, depending on what…Visual Studio and SQL Server editions you have installed.…
We'll start by opening up this top node,…and looking at the Databases section.…The only databases that are showing in here at the moment…are the System Databases that are part of SQL Server.…The next thing I'll do is I'll show you…two .NET applications I've written…that use some local DB connections.…They're out here in my Exercise Files folder.…You'll go to Exercise Files, chapter number two,…then the Apps folder, and this first item…
- Exploring integration with Azure data sources and other Microsoft databases
- Working with SQL Server Express LocalDB
- Connecting to databases with Server Explorer
- Working with database tables
- Manipulating tables with the SQL Server Object Explorer
- Creating queries and custom views
- Creating stored procedures
- Comparing databases
- Building a data project in Visual Studio
- Refactoring a database object
- Deploying the database
- Connecting to Azure databases
- Deploying data projects to Azure
- Integrating Visual Studio with Entity Framework
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: installing the SSDT features and why LocalDB is essential for developers.
1. Database and Data Integration
The Azure data sources2m 35s
2. SQL Server Express LocalDB
3. Server Explorer
4. SQL Server Object Explorer
5. Queries, Views, and Stored Procedures
6. Compare databases
7. SQL Server Data Project
8. Azure Data
Get an Azure account1m 10s
9. Entity Framework
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.