Visual Studio provides lots of code and markup editors within the IDE. Each language has a dedicated editor that provides a rich coding experience. Walt shows how the IDE determines with editor to load for a code file. Learn how to work with alternate editors and how to map to custom file extensions.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- There are dozens of code editors…available in Visual Studio.…Each code language and markup language…has a dedicated editor.…This way each editor knows…which keywords are part of the language…and can look up the rules…for how to format the fonts and colors for the text.…It can also find a list of auto-completion words…and other code helper tools,…which help you write your code faster and easier.…The code helper tools are collectively…known as IntelliSense.…Also the editor can analyze your written document…to see if you have any markup or syntax errors.…
Obviously there must be a way for Visual Studio…to determine which editor to load…for any given text file.…Let's see how that works.…I have a number of text files inside this project.…You can see them.…They have the txt extension on them.…There's also a text file here…that has a cs extension on it,…which stands for C Sharp.…When I open this file,…I'll double click on it,…you can see that the plain text…has been transformed into colorized texts.…For instance, on line eight,…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Beginner
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.