Each code editor in Visual Studio has a set of configurable rules that control the formatting of the code. Walt shows the key settings available for the Visual Basic editor.
- In this video, I'll look at the format rules…for the Visual Basic Code Editor.…To do that, I'll use the code in this file, CodeStyle.vb,…which is in the RulesforVB project.…To review the basics of code formatting,…each code editor has a set of rules that it follows…when you invoke the Format Document command.…Some of these rules are configurable,…and that's what I'm looking at today.…To review, you invoke the command by going to the Edit menu…and choosing Advanced, Format Document.…
You can also use the keystroke, Ctrl+k Ctrl+d.…Visual Studio uses a different technique than many…of the other language editors.…Watch what happens when I change this tab settings here…for the setter in this property.…When I move off this line of code,…Visual Studio automatically formats that line.…So, Visual Studio is automatically invoking Format selection…the current line whenever I move to a new line…in my document.…I'll show you that again down here in this method.…
I'll add some extra spaces around this equal sign…and indent the While command, and you see…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover visualizing code and markup with structure guidelines in Visual Studio 2017; refactor enhancements in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for C# in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for Visual Basic in Visual Studio 2017; smart peek options; and CodeMap in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.