The Find All References tool window has some enhancements. It provides a colorized list of existing type references, and provides grouping, filtering, sorting, and searching within reference results.
- [Instructor] You're working in your code,…and you're looking at this Book class,…and you want to know how many parts of your code base…reference this class,…which, at this time, is only in the Enterprise Edition.…If you are in the class itself,…like I'm in the Book class right now,…and I'm in a version of Visual Studio…that supports CodeLens,…you can see that information here.…You can see there's six references.…But if I'm in a consumer,…let's say I'm over here in this…XAML file,…I'll go to the code we have for the XAML file,…and I'm seeing the Book referenced here as a variable type.…
There's no way to get a CodeLens for that.…There's a way to look up the references anywhere…by right-clicking and choosing Find All References…or choosing Shift + F12.…That opens this window.…It's called the Find References window.…And you'll see that it says Book references now.…It's telling me that's what I searched for.…That's the type that I searched for.…This window has been in Visual Studio for several versions.…There are a lot of improvements however.…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover visualizing code and markup with structure guidelines in Visual Studio 2017; refactor enhancements in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for C# in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for Visual Basic in Visual Studio 2017; smart peek options; and CodeMap in Visual Studio 2017.
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.