Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Exception Helper: Visual Studio 2017, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- [Instructor] Visual Studio has always contained…diagnostic tools to help the developer understand…what's happening when an exception happens…during a debugging session.…It's important to analyze the situation…because it usually means you have a bug in your code…or you have an unhandled exception.…In Visual Studio 2015, which I have open here,…there are two tools.…There is the exception assistant and the exception dialogue.…When you're in managed code, you typically get…the exception assistant,…and when you're in unmanaged code,…you get the exception dialogue.…
Here's what I mean.…I'm running this WTF application inside Visual Studio.…I've got the debugger attached.…I'll click no this first button.…When I hit my exception, I see the exception on line 36…and I get this dialogue that pops up…and shows me information about the exception.…Now this is a useful bit of information…but there are some problems with it.…Number one, it's a very large dialogue…and it's not resizeable.…So if I want to see the code that's behind it,…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.