Watch a demonstration of creating a custom function in Excel using Visual Studio.
- [Instructor] Before we leave the topic of Excel,…let's just mention a new feature…called Excel custom functions.…I've got an Excel blank workbook, except I've added…a few numbers into column A here, and as we all know,…we can take the sum of those numbers by adding a function.…So I can say equals and then pick sum, and then I can…select the range that I'm interested in.…And it'll calculate the sum of those numbers.…
So, sum of course is a built-in Excel function,…and there are lots of these.…If I click on the Formulas tab, you can see there…are financial functions, maths functions, there's more here,…engineering, there's quite a lot of them built in to Excel.…But, wouldn't it be nice if we could…create our own custom functions?…What if I want something that isn't built in?…Perhaps something specific to my industry or my company.…Like the widget uniformity index.…Okay, I just made that one up, but you get the idea.…
So this is what Excel custom functions gives us,…and you can think of it as yet…another add-in extension point.…
- How Office extensions work
- Using the Office.js libraries
- Working with ScriptLab
- Creating an add-in with Visual Studio
- Working with manifests and commands
- Deploying and debugging add-ins
- Developing new add-in controls
- Working with Yeoman, Angular, and React
- Sideloading add-ins to different locations
- Guidelines for designing add-ins
- Using Office application APIs
- Publishing and licensing add-ins
Skill Level Intermediate
What are Office add-ins?2m 34s
1. Getting Started
2. Building Add-Ins with Visual Studio
3. Using Other Libraries and Tooling with Add-Ins
4. Add-Ins for Word, PowerPoint, and OneNote
5. Add-Ins for Excel
6. Add-Ins for Outlook
7. Distributing Your Add-In
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.