Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Evaluate performance with PerfTips, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- PerfTips provide just in time feedback on the performance…of your app during development.…They are continuously available while debugging your code…and don't require a separate profiling run.…PerfTips show you the elapsed time…between the current breakpoint…and the previous break.…Whether that break was another breakpoint…or an intermediate step in the debugger.…To demonstrate I'll use the code in the PerfTipsDemo.…I'll start by debugging my application.…I'll click on the Start Demo button…and we'll see how long it takes…to populate these two list boxes on the screen.…
Looks to me, like that was about a half a second delay…between the time it clicked on the button…and the time the information showed up in the list boxes.…Let's see it again.…I'd like to see where my code is slow…so I'll switch back to Visual Studio.…I already have a debugger attached…so I'll switch back to Visual Studio…and I'll open the code in this C# file.…I'll put two breakpoints in my code,…one on line 26…and one on line 35.…Then I'll return back to my user interface…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.