A useful extension needs to interact with the Visual Studio IDE. This tutorial enhances the CodeCommander project by add code that retrieves the select text for the current editor.
- [Voiceover] I've got a confession to make.…If you watch the previous movie in this chapter,…I said that we'd look at deployment next.…I'm not doing that yet because I want…to enhance the extension and make it more functional.…As I've said before, a successful extension…is one that interacts with the Visual Studio IDE…and enhances the development process.…All the CodeCommander extension does at the moment…is add a menu item to the Tools menu and show a message box.…To interact with the Visual Studio IDE,…I need to add some extra references.…I've listed them here.…
I've already added the references…but I've listed them here in this AddedReferences.txt file…so you know what to add to your project.…This first set of references gives me the ability…to manipulate the text in the code editor windows.…I've also added some WPF references…so I can start using the WPF classes.…Next step I did was to open up CodeCommander…and choose Add New Item.…Then I pick the Extensibility node…and added another Custom Command.…So this gives me another menu item.…
- Installing extensions
- Using CodeMaid, Productivity Power Tools, and other Visual Studio extensions
- Adding external tools
- Creating custom item and project templates
- Building your own custom extensions
- Creating VSIX installers
- Sharing custom extensions
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover installing and exploring extensions, creating custom project and item templates, and creating custom extensions.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Install Extensions
2. Explore Extensions
3. Integrate External Tools
4. Create Custom Project and Item Templates
5. Create Custom Extensions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.