Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Effective use of the Immediate window, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- The Immediate Window is another debugging window…in Visual Studio, it can be used at design time,…or debug time, to evaluate expressions, execute statements,…print variable names, and so forth.…To demonstrate this, I'm using this example application.…I'll be working with this book class, and some of the…methods that are inside of this bookstore class.…I'll be using this Get Daily Book Sales,…Get Top Seller, and Update Book Price.…
I'll start by showing you the Immediate Window…in debug mode.…Usually, the Immediate Window is docked…to the bottom of the screen, on the right side.…If you do not see it, you can add it…by going to Debug,…Immediate.…I'm sitting at a Break Point, so I can do things…like Print out the contents of a property,…and I can also Modify the values.…I'll start by Printing out the value of the book variable.…In the Immediate Window, you use the Question Mark…as a shortcut for Print.…
And there's my results.…It shows the information in a text format…This is not much different than going over to this…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.