Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Edit and Continue, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- One of the most useful features of Visual Studio…debugging tools is Edit and Continue.…This feature allows you to make changes to your code…while debugging, then continue stepping through your code…without any additional compilation steps from you.…This beats the old model of debug, stop,…write new code, recompile, and restart debugging.…C Sharp, C++, and Visual Basic has support…for Edit and Continue.…There is a limitation in the C++ implementation.…It doesn't work in Windows store apps.…
The Edit and Continue feature is turned on by default,…which means you probably used it without much thought,…because it just works.…If it is turned off, you can reenable it…using the Options dialog available in the Tools menu.…Open this Debugging section, go to the General section,…and scroll to the bottom.…Make sure you have a check mark…next to Enable Edit and Continue, and you are ready to go.…The code that I'm working with today…is inside the solution EditandContinue.…I have this EditandContinue wpf application,…which serves as my user interface.…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.