Older versions of Visual Studio are known for their large install footprint and long install times. This changes in Visual Studio 2017, which has reduced the hard drive footprint and installs more. In this video, see how to select and install just the features you need to complete the course.
- [Instructor] If you want to follow along with the course, you'll need to install Visual Studio 2017. I'm using the release candidate because that's the version available at the time I'm recording the course. By the time this course is in our catalog you will have access to the final version. To get your copy of the installer, go to the Visual Studio website or access it through your subscription portal. For this demonstration I'll use the website. I'm at visualstudio.com. Because I'm using the release candidate I need to scroll down this page, and look at this link down here.
By the time you go to this website I believe you'll be able to click on this link up here, Visual Studio IDE. I'll click down here, which takes me to a description of the release candidate and I'll click on the free download button. On the bottom of this page is a listing of the three editions of Visual Studio. These are the same names that Microsoft has in Visual Studio 2015. There's community, professional, and enterprise. For this demonstration I'll be using the Visual Studio Enterprise edition.
I'll show some of the features that are available in there but most of the demonstration I'm showing in the course are also available for professional and community. So if you don't have a license copy of enterprise or professional, you can always get this free community edition. My demonstration I'll click on this free download button.
- Installing Visual Studio 2017
- Using debugging features
- Reviewing document navigation enhancements
- Examining IntelliSense Improvements
- Using XAML tools
- Reviewing the tooling added to support Docker containers
- Debugging without the hosting process
- Using the Visual Studio 2017 Installer
Skill Level Beginner
2. IDE Improvements
3. Debugging Improvements
4. Document Navigation
5. IntelliSense Improvements
6. XAML Tools
7. Cloud Development
8. Performance Improvements
Performance Center1m 34s
9. Installer Improvements
What's next1m 14s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.