Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Debugging exceptions, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 06 Debug and Troubleshoot Code.
- Debugging code and dealing with exceptions…are two similar tasks.…In many cases, it is an unhandled error in our code…that leads us to a debugging session.…In this video, I'll show the Exception Assistant,…which helps you investigate unhandled exceptions…and fix the problem before you release the application.…I'll also look at the exception break settings,…and show you how to override the defaults in Visual Studio.…The solution I have contains two projects,…it has an ASP.NET web application,…and it has a WPF Windows application.…
Both of them have code that will cause an exception.…I do not have any error handling code…in my application, so that will lead…to an unhandled exception.…On line 33, I'm instantiating a variable…of type List of string,…then on line 34 I'm adding a string,…which is the name of the book,…and then on line 36, I'm attempting to access…one of the items out of the list,…but I'm using the number 5,…and there are not five items in this list,…so I'll get an ArgumentOutOfRangeException.…To simulate what the user would see,…
- Understanding the debugging vocabulary
- Understanding the defect categories
- Stepping through code
- Working with DataTips and visualizers
- Traversing the call stack
- Attaching debuggers to running processes
- Using the Just-in-Time debugger
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Run to Click and Exception Helper in Visual Studio 2017.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. The Philosophy of Debugging and Troubleshooting Code
Understand defect categories8m 19s
2. Use the Debug Tools in Visual Studio
3. Debugging Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.