Older versions of Visual Studio wrap managed projects around a hosting process to improve the performance when debugging. This is the default for Windows Forms, WPF, and managed console projects. Visual Studio 2017 is different—the old hosting process is gone. Instead, it optimizes debugging in a different way, so that it is just as fast.
- [Narrator] By default older versions of Visual Studio…wrap managed projects around a hosting process to improve…the performance when debugging.…This is the default for…Windows Forms, WPF, and Managed Consult projects.…There are many benefits to using the hosting process.…After the initial session,…subsequent debug sessions are faster.…You also get access to design time expression evaluation…in the Visual Studio tool windows,…and you can do partial trust debugging.…However, there are drawbacks to using it.…
It often causes Visual Studio to become unresponsive…for a few seconds when stopping a debug session.…I'm inside Visual Studio 2015,…and I've opened a WPF project.…Let's look at the Properties window.…Double-click on Properties. Go to Debug.…At the bottom of this page is a check mark,…Enable the Visual Studio hosting process.…That turns on this feature.…When you compile the project and debug it,…if you look in your Bin folder,…you'll see that not only do you have…your simple WPF.exe file,…but you've also got these files that…
- Installing Visual Studio 2017
- Using debugging features
- Reviewing document navigation enhancements
- Examining IntelliSense Improvements
- Using XAML tools
- Reviewing the tooling added to support Docker containers
- Debugging without the hosting process
- Using the Visual Studio 2017 Installer
Skill Level Beginner
2. IDE Improvements
3. Debugging Improvements
4. Document Navigation
5. IntelliSense Improvements
6. XAML Tools
7. Cloud Development
8. Performance Improvements
Performance Center1m 34s
9. Installer Improvements
What's next1m 14s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.