This video shows how to create a new MsTest project with the Visual Studio project templates. While this course focuses on test .NET class libraries, there are other template types available. You'll see some templates that work with Universal Windows apps and ASP.NET too.
- [Voiceover] When it's time to create…a unit test project that uses MsTest,…it's best if you use one…of the unit test project templates…In the visual C# node,…I'll open this section down here…where there's a Test section,…and then I'll choose this…Unit Test Project.…I'll leave the names at default…in the Default location…and click OK.…This template sets up a few items for me…in the project.…If I look in the References folder,…you see that it added a reference…to Microsoft.VisualStudio.Quality Tools….UnitTestFramework.…
That's the MsTest.…It also added a class here…named UnitTest1.…If you look inside that class,…you'll see that there's a class defined…here with a test class attribute…and a Test Method in here…defined with a Test Method attribute.…That's how you do tests in MsTest.…This template is set up for testing…console applications, class libraries,…Windows forms, and WPF projects.…There are other templates optimized…for testing different types…of applications.…
For this template I'll open the Windows…section, choose Universal,…
- Examining types of frameworks
- Choosing a naming convention
- Creating unit tests
- Running unit tests with Visual Studio
- Modifying and correcting code
- Handling exceptions
- Installing and using nUnit
- Viewing test results with CodeLens
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover live unit testing and creating a project with the unit test framework.
1. Create a Simple Unit Test Framework
2. Unit Testing Conventions
Choose a naming convention5m 59s
3. Work with Visual Studio Unit Testing Framework
4. Work with xUnit
5. Work with nUnit
6. Additional Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.