Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video Create project template, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 08 Extend and Customize the Visual Studio Environment.
- [Instructor] A project template…is a collection of files and settings.…In most cases it's easier to create a project template…than it is to make an item template…which might seem surprising…but here's an example.…I have this UwpStarter project…which as you can see…is a Universal Windows…or our Windows 10 application…and I have set it up…so it has a lot of the things…that I would use over and over again…in different Universal Windows apps.…So, I've got an Assets folder here…which contains some fonts…and some standard StoreImages that are required…by Microsoft for the store,…I've got a CommonResources folder…which has some of the brushes and standard styles…that I like to use,…I have some sample pages here,…in this case a ToggleSwitchPage…and I've got the standard UI too,…I've got a MainPage,…and I've got a project.json and so on…and I also have certain preferences set here.…
So, when it's time to turn this…into a template I just have to go…to the File menu and choose Export Template.…In Visual Studio 2017…the export template menu is located in the project menu.…
- Installing extensions
- Using CodeMaid, Productivity Power Tools, and other Visual Studio extensions
- Adding external tools
- Creating custom item and project templates
- Building your own custom extensions
- Creating VSIX installers
- Sharing custom extensions
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover installing and exploring extensions, creating custom project and item templates, and creating custom extensions.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Install Extensions
2. Explore Extensions
3. Integrate External Tools
4. Create Custom Project and Item Templates
5. Create Custom Extensions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.