This tutorial is a preparation step for the upcoming demonstrations in the chapter. See how to copy a LocalDB file and reconnect to it in Server Explorer.
- [Voiceover] Before I do anymore work…on my databases I want to make a copy…of my master database and do my edits…in the copy, not the original.…To do that I will go to the Assets folder…in my exercise files folder, drill down here…to this folder here and grab Tours.mdf…and this NorthwindV13.mdf and copy those.…Then I'll move up to the exercise files folder again…and move into this database edit folder…and paste them in there.…I'll return back to Visual Studio…and now I'll delete these data connections.…
Then I'll re-add the Tours database…from the new location.…Pick the Tours.mdf file, click Open,…test my connection, then click Okay.…And then I'll verify that I have…the new location by right-clicking…and choose Browse in SQL Server Object Explorer…and verify that it's in this new location.…Not there, click on Refresh.…There's the one I'm looking for.…The database edit folder.…That means I can remove this one from…SQL Server Object Explorer.…
Now I'm ready to start editing…the data tables and the other entities…inside SQL Server using SQL Server Object Explorer.…
- Exploring integration with Azure data sources and other Microsoft databases
- Working with SQL Server Express LocalDB
- Connecting to databases with Server Explorer
- Working with database tables
- Manipulating tables with the SQL Server Object Explorer
- Creating queries and custom views
- Creating stored procedures
- Comparing databases
- Building a data project in Visual Studio
- Refactoring a database object
- Deploying the database
- Connecting to Azure databases
- Deploying data projects to Azure
- Integrating Visual Studio with Entity Framework
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: installing the SSDT features and why LocalDB is essential for developers.
1. Database and Data Integration
The Azure data sources2m 35s
2. SQL Server Express LocalDB
3. Server Explorer
4. SQL Server Object Explorer
5. Queries, Views, and Stored Procedures
6. Compare databases
7. SQL Server Data Project
8. Azure Data
Get an Azure account1m 10s
9. Entity Framework
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.