This video looks at how to configure and open a connection to a SQL Server database file.
- [Voiceover] I'm ready to make…my first connection to a data source.…I've got Server Explorer open,…I'll click on this Connect to Database button…and then for my choice of data sources…I'll click on the Change button…and choose Microsoft SQL Server Database File.…It'll default to one of these items…and if you always are working with…a certain kind of database, you can click…on this Always use this selection…and then the next time you open this…Change Data Source it'll remember that.…So I picked the SQL Server Database file and click OK,…and now I have to provide the name…of my physical database file and it's location…on my hard drive.…
I'm using a local DB as my database,…that'll be an MDF file.…I'll click the browse button and I'm…using an Exercise files folder here in my Assets folder,…so I'm working with LocalDB and this is the…version 13 or SQL Server 2016 version of the file.…Click on Tours.mdf and then click on Open.…The next step is to specify how to log in…to the database file.…Easiest in my case is to use Windows Authentication…
- Exploring integration with Azure data sources and other Microsoft databases
- Working with SQL Server Express LocalDB
- Connecting to databases with Server Explorer
- Working with database tables
- Manipulating tables with the SQL Server Object Explorer
- Creating queries and custom views
- Creating stored procedures
- Comparing databases
- Building a data project in Visual Studio
- Refactoring a database object
- Deploying the database
- Connecting to Azure databases
- Deploying data projects to Azure
- Integrating Visual Studio with Entity Framework
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: installing the SSDT features and why LocalDB is essential for developers.
1. Database and Data Integration
The Azure data sources2m 35s
2. SQL Server Express LocalDB
3. Server Explorer
4. SQL Server Object Explorer
5. Queries, Views, and Stored Procedures
6. Compare databases
7. SQL Server Data Project
8. Azure Data
Get an Azure account1m 10s
9. Entity Framework
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.