Join Walt Ritscher for an in-depth discussion in this video CodeMap in Visual Studio 2017, part of Visual Studio Essential Training: 05 Code Editors.
- (Voiceover) Code maps are a great way…to visualize the relationships and interdependencies…between the components of your applications.…They make it easier to understand the architecture…of your application.…They are also invaluable when trying to learn your way…around other developers' projects.…I'm in my book class,…there's a relationship between this book…in a couple of ways.…There's a base class relationship between the book…and publication, and there's a relationship…between the author class and the book class,…because there's an author property inside this class…of type author.…
So I'd like to learn some information…about how those classes are related to each other…in a visual fashion.…I can right click on the book, and choose show…on code map.…This is what a code map looks like,…it's a visual representation of my project in the class.…This outside rectangle represents the binary file,…the exe, this represents my name space,…and this represents my class.…To make some more room, I'll slide this over…so I can see more of what's happening in the designer.…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover visualizing code and markup with structure guidelines in Visual Studio 2017; refactor enhancements in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for C# in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for Visual Basic in Visual Studio 2017; smart peek options; and CodeMap in Visual Studio 2017.
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.