The Visual Studio Toolbox is handy for drag and drop creation of UI screens. One little known feature of the Toolbox is that it can store bits of boiler plate code. Whenever you need the code, just drag and drop in the code editor for instant code generation.
- There are several ways in Visual Studio…to store boilerplate code and reuse it later.…I'll look at the Toolbox snippets in this video.…In the next video I'll show you how to use…the Editor Code snippets.…The first task is to open the Toolbox.…On my computer, I can see it…over on the left edge of the screen, here it is.…When I click on it, it will pop into view.…If you do not see this on your screen,…you'll need to go to the View menu…and choose Toolbox.…
Once you can see the Toolbox,…you'll want to dock it to the left side of the screen,…so click on the Auto Hide button.…Normally, the Toolbox is case sensitive,…or content sensitive is a better way of saying that,…so as you're picking files,…let's say I pick this Mainform.cs,…which is a Windows form.…When I double-click on that,…you'll see it fills itself up with items…that make sense for Windows forms development.…So I can open up this Common Control section,…find a Listbox and drag it over…to my Designer surface.…
I'm going to do the same thing,…but I'll be able to drag over Code snippets.…
- Exploring the code editor window and default settings
- Commenting code
- Using hover tips and IntelliSense
- Tracking changes
- Refactoring code
- Formatting and arranging code
- Navigating and inspecting code
- Using the Task List
- Working with snippets and smart tags
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/21/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover visualizing code and markup with structure guidelines in Visual Studio 2017; refactor enhancements in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for C# in Visual Studio 2017; format rules for Visual Basic in Visual Studio 2017; smart peek options; and CodeMap in Visual Studio 2017.
1. Work with Code Editors
2. Format Your Code
3. Navigate and Inspect Code
4. Tools for Enhancing Your Coding Sessions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.