Server Explorer automatically connects to database files located in Visual Studio projects. his video looks at how to add and remove SQL Server LocalDB files to a project and what Server Explorer does with those connections.
- [Voiceover] For this demonstration…I want to look at what happens…when you add a project level database…to Visual Studio.…For this example I'm using this AddProjectDb…project which is a simple console application.…And at the moment it doesn't have…any SQL Server local database files as part…of the project.…Over on the left side of the screen…in Server Explorer I can see there are three…persistent connections over here.…These are connections that I added…using the Connect to Database button.…I'll right-click on my project and choose…Add Existing Item, drill down into…my exercise folder into this location…and choose this Tours.mdf file…and click on Add.…
By the way, if you don't see that…when you do the add, I'll go back and show you that,…make sure you have this drop down…set to either Data Files or All Files.…Here's what I want you to see.…Look over in Server Explorer.…There's two Tours.mdf files.…Tours.mdf and Tours.mdf1.…This is the project level and it's…added when Server Explorer determines…that there's this mdf file in the project.…
- Exploring integration with Azure data sources and other Microsoft databases
- Working with SQL Server Express LocalDB
- Connecting to databases with Server Explorer
- Working with database tables
- Manipulating tables with the SQL Server Object Explorer
- Creating queries and custom views
- Creating stored procedures
- Comparing databases
- Building a data project in Visual Studio
- Refactoring a database object
- Deploying the database
- Connecting to Azure databases
- Deploying data projects to Azure
- Integrating Visual Studio with Entity Framework
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/23/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: installing the SSDT features and why LocalDB is essential for developers.
1. Database and Data Integration
The Azure data sources2m 35s
2. SQL Server Express LocalDB
3. Server Explorer
4. SQL Server Object Explorer
5. Queries, Views, and Stored Procedures
6. Compare databases
7. SQL Server Data Project
8. Azure Data
Get an Azure account1m 10s
9. Entity Framework
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.