This video explores the "Add New File" extension available on the Visual Studio gallery site. Learn how the extension works and what principles it demonstrates for your own custom extension.
- [Voiceover] In this movie,…I'll look at the add new file extension.…It's a simple tool that quickly creates…an empty file in the solution.…Plus it can create nested folders at the same time.…I'm sure you've added files to your project many times,…so you know the procedure.…Here's an example.…I'll add a CSS style sheet to my project.…Right-click, choose add new item,…then here I have to find the item tablet.…I can look through the list…of files here.…Or I can search.…If I search for CSS, I don't get a default style sheet,…I get the less style sheets.…
That's not what I want.…I need to know that the correct…search phrase was style.…Here is the item I want.…I'll accept a default name and click on add.…The file is added to the project,…my c s proj file is updated…and I see that there are some boiler plate CSS…added to the file.…It's not a difficult process.…It just takes a few seconds to find the item template…and click add.…Using the extension reduces the friction a little.…Here's the steps.…Right-click, choose add.…
This time choose the new empty file,…
- Installing extensions
- Using CodeMaid, Productivity Power Tools, and other Visual Studio extensions
- Adding external tools
- Creating custom item and project templates
- Building your own custom extensions
- Creating VSIX installers
- Sharing custom extensions
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 08/22/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover installing and exploring extensions, creating custom project and item templates, and creating custom extensions.
ASP.NET MVC 5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Sullivan3h 40m Intermediate
1. Install Extensions
2. Explore Extensions
3. Integrate External Tools
4. Create Custom Project and Item Templates
5. Create Custom Extensions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.