Now that you have learned the basics about pointers, use a pointer to handle an ever-expanding horde of zombies.
- [Instructor] Hi, welcome to the eighth section…of the course, pointers, the standard template library,…and texture management.…In this section we will learn about pointers, learn…about the STL, implement the TextureHolder class…using static functions, and a singleton class,…implement a pointer to a horde of zombies,…edit some existing code to use the TextureHolder class…for the player and the background.…Now we move onto the first video of this section,…Getting Started With Pointers.…
In this video we are going to take a look at…pointer syntax, declaring and initializing the pointer,…re-initializing the pointer and dereferencing a pointer.…Pointers can be the cause of frustration while…learning to code C++.…Actually, however, the concept is simple.…A pointer is a variable that holds a memory address.…That's it.…Nothing there to get concerned about.…What probably causes the frustration to beginners…is the syntax, the code we use to handle pointers.…
With this in mind, we will step through each…part of the code for using pointers.…
This course was created and produced by Packt Publishing. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Creating the main game loop
- Drawing the game background
- Handling errors
- Manipulating C++ variables
- Randomizing numbers
- Making decisions with if, else, and switch
- Moving game objects
- Pausing and restarting games
- Adding scoring and messages
- Using class enumerations and arrays
- Adding sound effects
- Object-oriented programming in C++
- C++ references
- Texture management
- Collision detection
- Implementing the HUD
- Finishing the game
Skill Level Beginner
1. C++, SFML, Visual Studio, and Starting the First Game
2. Variables, Operators, and Decisions
3. C++ Strings, SFML Time, Player Input, and HUD
4. Loops, Arrays, Switch, Enumerations, and Functions
5. Collisions, Sound, and End Conditions
6. Object-Oriented Programming, Classes, and SFML Views
7. C ++ References, Sprite Sheets, and Vertex Arrays
8. Pointers, the Standard Template Library, and Texture Management
9. Collision Detection, Pickups, and Bullets
10. Layering Views and Implementing the HUD
Updating the HUD each frame3m 24s
11. Sound Effects, File I/O, and Finishing the Game
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.