Join Chad Perkins for an in-depth discussion in this video The assurance, part of Creating a Short Film: 07 Cinematography.
(somber orchestral music) - [Narrator] It's so hard to believe.
I keep dreaming that she's here with me and we can go home. But people of my world are sick, dying. I can never go home. I am alone. My sister was the only family I've ever known and I miss her. She left me here in the wilderness. I know her mission is important, but I still don't understand it.
I always knew my sister would do something great. I didn't know what it was, but she did, and that weighed heavily on her. Ta'ani kept her secrets 'til the end. All I knew was that she had more hope than most. She wanted that for me too. - [Woman] Recite the poem. - (sighs) Through forest as deep and desert long, I will be brave, I will be strong.
- [Narrator] I did not share her faith. A great evil has come to this world. They say it is a God that has rebelled and fallen and that his presence creates the terrible plague that is destroying our people. - To all of the assurance. - [Narrator] Some find hope in the ancient drawing. They think it's a sign from the Gods that we'll be saved. - Draw the assurance every day. - [Narrator] Ta'ani believed. She had me study it and draw it over and over.
I was not a good student. I suppose she was preparing me to learn who she really was and why she had to leave. I didn't understand why the assurance was so important, but some did. - What do you see? - [Narrator] The few that are left gather often to learn and to look forward to a better day. Though even the believers doubt they will be around to see it.
One day I was exposed and everything changed. We left our home, went out into the wilderness, and Ta'ani finally taught me about her mission. - There's a lot I need to tell you. The Gods have blessed our family. We can do great things. Shh.
(dramatic music) Never fear this challenge. - [Narrator] I had so many questions, but the next day, she was gone.
Now I think I understand. She taught me who she was, who I am, and to believe. The people of my world are dying, but they are not dead. Ta'ani's mission was to send me to save them. And I intend to. - If others knew you existed, our lives would never be the same.
- A child will come to save us. (slow dramatic music) - Impossible. - Korda'a you've been exposed. They know who you are. The fanatics will come after us.
We're not safe here. We must leave. Korda'a, time for you to take your journey. - Why, aren't you coming? - You know what to do. - You are the chosen one! - Korda'a, you are the assurance. You can save us all. It was always you. - How do I know where to go? - Through forest deep and desert long.
- I will be brave. I will be strong.
(dramatic music) (orchestral music)
- Understanding exposure
- Getting coverage
- Diffusing, blocking, and shaping light
- Shooting at night
- Using wide and long lenses
- Telling stories with camera movement
- Framing the shot
- Using mobile cinematography apps
- Mastering cinematic lighting
- Using common grip equipment
- Lighting people in a flattering way
- Achieving a shallow depth of field
- Creating more cinematic shots
- Working as a Director of Photography
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Appropriate for all
The assurance7m 43s
1. Cinematography Basics
2. Setting Up the Shot
3. Framing the Shot
4. Lighting in Theory
5. Lighting in Practice
6. Lighting People
7. Camera Basics
8. Telling the Story with Lenses
9. Moving the Camera
10. Creating Cinematic Shots
11. Fixing Mistakes
Recreating the faceoff shot1m 26s
12. Working as DP
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.