Instructor Jem Schofield defines a web series and explains the difference between a web series and a vlog.
- So before we go ahead and talk about why you might create a web series for your business, let's go ahead and talk about what a web series is. And to me, a web series is all about structure. It's about planning, it's about a point of view, it's about your brand. I did a course that's in the library called Vlogging for Business and I went to a company in Santa Barbara called Make Smith, I worked with Steven and he really just wanted to create a vlog for his business. The idea was to get him up to speed on his equipment, he was going to create some video content about what he was doing in his shop.
- Hey, I'm Steven Soria with Make Smith Leather Co. Welcome to the first episode of What's On My Workbench? - He was going to take that video equipment out into his life, he was very casual, he didn't necessarily know who his audience was and that's totally okay. But he wanted to just create content around what he was doing in his life and how it tied back into his business. When we take a look at that style of shooting, that style of shooting can translate into creating a web series.
In fact, lots of people who start by vlogging and sort of having that casual style will find their audience eventually and they can identify who that audience is and then at that point in time, there's definitely a percentage of people who will shift over into creating more structured content, planned content, with a point of view that ties into their brand. But you can also do that from the get-go. You can say, we have a brand, we have identified who our audience is, we want to create some sort of structure in terms of the content that we're creating and we want to make sure that that ties into a point of view.
And to me, that's what it's all about. You're creating generally episodic type content that is being published daily, weekly, biweekly that has a target audience in mind and it's designed to bring people yes, into your world and what your business is but to also grow your brand and your audience related to that. So hopefully that helps you understand what a web series is all about and also help you make the decision as to whether or not creating a web series for your business makes sense.
- Why create a web series for your business?
- Determining what your series is about
- Planning for an ongoing web series
- Choosing your audio and lighting equipment
- Shooting your web series
- Post-production considerations
- Keeping your series going