Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Use track mattes, part of After Effects CC 2019 Essential Training: Motion Graphics.
- [Instructor] We can isolate parts of a layer…by use of a mask to either hide or reveal that portion.…When we move the position, scale, or rotation of that layer,…we see that the masks will follow along for the ride.…Sometimes, you want to move a layer…independently of the masks that may be on it.…We can achieve that through the use of track mattes.…Track mattes are a tool that has one layer…use the layer above it as a means…of hiding or revealing that imagery.…Here in this example, I've got some numbers,…and we're just moving up, I've got two keyframes…and what's visible here's the numbers one through five.…
If I were to go through and take my rectangle tool…and make sure that my layer is selected,…I can click and drag, and create a mask.…That mask in this instance…is showing only what's inside of it.…Everything else outside of this mask is being cut out,…which you'll notice as I scrub through…that the mask is moving along with the layer.…If I wanted to have the mask move independently…of the layer, I'm going to need to use track mattes.…
- Working with shape layers and paths
- Animating compositions
- Animating type
- Animating 3D layers
- Creating 3D text and geometry
- Rendering your motion graphics
- Following an effective motion graphic workflow
Skill Level Beginner
After Effects CC 2019 New Featureswith Mark Christiansen34m 12s Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Mastering the Timelinewith Richard Harrington1h 54m Intermediate
Compositing Text and Video in After Effectswith Eran Stern2h 53m Intermediate
1. Working with Shape Layers
2. Working with Animation
3. Working with Compositing
4. Working with Type
5. Basic After Effects 3D
6. 3D Geometry
7. Rendering for Motion Graphics
8. Motion Graphic Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.