Subject framing is everything when filming interviews. In this video, learn how to properly frame your subject using the rule of thirds and the proper eyeline. Also, learn about the camera position relative to the subject and how the subject interacts with the background.
- The first thing you do when you walk in any room … is assess your background and try to find it. … I always find it easier to go handheld with this, … so you don't have a tripod that you have to move around. … So as we go around and spin around the room … to asses it as we're going, … I like this dark background that's going on here. … I like the windows are coming across. … The problem is Dan usually wears a dark coat, … so he may blend into this background, … so I want to avoid this black scene. … Just spin around more, … I like the blue texture we're getting on that wall. … Oh, I'm seeing that TV though. … TVs are never good 'cause one, … you don't know the content that's on them, … two, they can cause light and flickering on your scene. … I just spin around more, blue wall's nice, … we see a little kitchenette though, … we're going to want to crop that out. … As we come around here, we see these nice windows, … this nice background, that's nice. … I think this could be a good rough frame. …
- Picking the right gear
- Setting up audio
- Key features of the Sony a7
- Lighting your interviews with natural light
- Exterior and interior shooting
- Setting up the audio
- Properly framing your subject
- Interviewing off camera
- Shooting on smart phones
Skill Level Beginner
Lighting a Video Interviewwith Richard Harrington2h 28m Intermediate
Mastering Common Interview Questionswith Valerie Sutton56m 14s Intermediate
Video Foundations: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Intermediate
1. Choosing the Right Gear
2. Setting Up the Location
3. Setting Up the Interview
4. Shooting B-Roll
5. Variations on a Theme
6. After the Interview
Backing up SD card1m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.