Zack demonstrates his system for naming video tracks in Avid, which can also be applied to other NLEs like Adobe Premiere, so you can quickly and easily find media inside your timeline, akin to how a music composer would read sheet music. This system includes labeling your main footage, interviews, b–roll, titles, visual fx, and placeholders.
- [Instructor] In a previous lesson,…I showed you how I organize my media and bins…inside my main editorial project,…and in this lesson, I'm going to show you my approach…to organizing my video tracks inside my timeline.…While it's easy to assume that the best editors…get the best jobs because of their creative abilities,…my philosophy is that not only should an editor…be able to make great creative decisions,…but also a truly great editor…should be able to navigate a timeline,…just like a great composer reads a piece of sheet music.…At any given time you should know where anything is located.…
And once you master this skill,…you'll be able to wow any director or producer in the room.…Because when they ask you,…is it possible that I can see this?…You can then respond with, oh, you mean this right here?…Before they even finish their sentence.…I'm going to show you how to make that happen…by organizing your video tracks efficiently,…and once again, just as a reminder,…this isn't the system for organization,…I'm just showing you my system.…
- File management
- Time blocking
- Cleaning up your email inbox
- Organizing and prioritizing notifications
- Selecting apps to help you with task and time management
- Filtering email messages and paperwork
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: Why can't I earn a Certificate of Completion for this course?
A: We publish a new tutorial or tutorials for this course on a regular basis. We are unable to offer a Certificate of Completion because it is an ever-evolving course that is not designed to be completed. Check back often for new movies.
Video Production and Post Tips of the Weekwith Richard Harrington12h 49m Appropriate for all
Video Editing: Moving from Production to Postwith Amy DeLouise2h 22m Appropriate for all
The History of Film and Video Editingwith Ashley Kennedy2h 10m Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: The Art of Editingwith Norman Hollyn3h 47m Appropriate for all
New This Week
Trello, GTD, Productivity Tools
Project and Timeline Organization
Inbox zero8m 27s
Project & dailies organization, and going further with GTD and Trello 2017
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.