- Video fundamentals and workflow
- Pre-production basics: planning, script writing, location scouting, and scheduling
- Production basics: shooting stand-ups, b-roll, and gathering assets
- Editing and post-production basics: organization, editing, and refining
- Adding graphics, music, text, and more
Skill Level Beginner
- Hi, I'm Ashley Kennedy. Thank you for joining me in this course, Making Video: Sell Yourself. This is one of a series of four Making Video courses where we talk about how to create different types of videos for different purposes and different types of audiences. The common characteristic of all the courses in this series is that we're making films on a very low budget, using a smartphone as the primary camera and a limited amount of other production equipment.
We're also assuming relatively little or no experience in video production, whatsoever. So, if you're someone not in the video industry who wants to make a high-quality, self-promotional video at very little cost, this is your course. In this course, we'll be making a video to sell yourself. Specifically, we're teaming up with Ventura based executive coach, Banks Pecht, helping her make a high-quality video to promote her coaching services. Banks spent most of her professional life as a corporate attorney, but several years ago she decided on a major career pivot and started up Banks Coaching.
She now feels like she's found her true calling, working with business leaders to help them achieve their professional goals. But, Banks recognized that nearly all of her business was driven strictly by word-of-mouth, and she knew she needed to start getting some smart marketing solutions in place. And really, when your entire business is to sell a service, in essence to sell yourself, an engaging, self-promotional video is a great strategy. And so, even though Banks had no professional video experience, by the end of our time together, she was able to create a really nice video that she can use to help educate and influence potential clients.
During this course, I worked with her on smart ideation strategies and worked to dissect her brand and figure out a targeted approach. I taught her how to plan her video by structuring and scripting it. I showed her how to plan out the shoot so that she could get exactly what she needed. Together, we scouted locations in order to achieve the best backdrops for her message. I showed her how to stage interviews and shoot engaging B roll, using the limited amount of production equipment in smart and efficient ways.
And finally, I showed her how to edit the project in a fun and engaging way, putting all of our efforts together. And of course, my goal is for you to be able to take the same steps as Banks in creating your own self-promotional video.