Join Amy DeLouise for an in-depth discussion in this video Important trends, part of Multi-Platform Video Producing.
- One of the most important trends in the world of multi-platform transmedia production is change. It seems like almost weekly there's a new distribution platform or acquisition spec that we producers need to take into account as we're creating our content. In this course, we're going to talk about relatively new acquisition specs, like 4K and 4K UHD, and what opportunities they provide you for better distribution. And we'll also address how you can be sure you have the ability to deliver for large and small surfaces, large and small speakers or earbuds, streaming audio and video, and all of the many specs of social media platforms.
We'll also touch on the specific color space and audio considerations that affect how our work looks and sounds. The bottom line is that with all the changes around us and how media is produced and consumed, we as producers need to acquire images and sound in a way that gives us maximum flexibility to deliver a variety of outputs that connect well with our viewers. Another trend is that there's more video than ever before. Mobile video accounted for 60% of all mobile traffic last year and is expected to top 80% very soon.
Smart phones can help people generate their own high resolution video and also consume it. And social platforms are pushing the envelope with new video distribution channels, like Instagram's IGTV that supports long-form content of up to 60 minutes and YouTube's Stories platform. So we content creators need to be ready and knowledgeable about how to deliver for these formats. Analytics are ubiquitous. That's a fancy word for everywhere. There are more tools out there than you can ever count to see if your audience is paying attention and to figure out how to make your videos more engaging.
So be sure you're incorporating some kind of analytics into your workflow. Otherwise you don't really know what platforms are working and what don't. Finally, every viewer is also a content creator. There is more competition than ever for your content. Check out this graphic from Domo.com that shows how much content is being created every minute of every day. For example, 900 hours of new video are going up every minute on YouTube, wow.
So when you are planning a project, the first thing you need to think about is what will make it engaging? We'll discuss how you can leverage all the tools of transmedia production and make sure your videos stand out in the crowd.
- Leveraging storytelling
- Choosing the right frame rate and frame size
- Audio and color considerations
- File storage and DIT
- Budgeting for transmedia delivery
- Ensuring maximum audience engagement
- Making video accessible to all
- Ensuring a quality experience
- Maximizing quality for small screens, social media, and mobile devices