Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video 3D layer properties, part of After Effects CC 2019 Essential Training: Motion Graphics.
- [Instructor] When we turn a 2D layer into a 3D one,…we add on several new properties to the layer.…A 3D layer now gains material options…that can react to light in very different ways.…We can control its different surface properties…in addition to having a layer cast shadows into our seam.…So here in this composition, I've got three cloud layers…and they're all animated the same.…They just rotate in space and this is to showcase…how they interact differently with light.…So if we twirl down this cloud default,…we see that under material options,…we have all these new attributes ambient,…diffuse, specular, metal.…
All these things add up to contribute…to how the layer interacts.…And right now, you can see that there is a light source…and we're getting a hint of it…and when we rotate out to the extremes,…the outer parts of the cloud are a little bit darker…and overall we get the sense that…this is rotating in 3D space.…Let's go ahead and look at the next cloud layer.…And this one is a lot more reflective.…It's got a hotspot from the light…
- Working with shape layers and paths
- Animating compositions
- Animating type
- Animating 3D layers
- Creating 3D text and geometry
- Rendering your motion graphics
- Following an effective motion graphic workflow
Skill Level Beginner
After Effects CC 2019: New Featureswith Mark Christiansen34m 12s Appropriate for all
After Effects Guru: Mastering the Timelinewith Richard Harrington1h 54m Intermediate
Compositing Text and Video in After Effectswith Eran Stern2h 53m Intermediate
1. Working with Shape Layers
2. Working with Animation
3. Working with Compositing
4. Working with Type
5. Basic After Effects 3D
6. 3D Geometry
7. Rendering for Motion Graphics
8. Motion Graphic Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.