Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Using unusual or unexpected angles, part of Cinematic Composition for Video Productions.
- Another technique that you can use…in your video productions…is unrealistic angles that place the camera…inside nonexistent surfaces…or in spaces that a human could never fit.…These angles draw attention…to the camera's presence,…accomplishing a sense of surrealism,…and establishing a specific tone.…
These are perspectives that we would never…be able to glimpse with our own eyes.…And immediately draw attention to themselves…because of it.…They are not subtle and often work…to undermine the realism of a scene.…And remind the viewer that they're watching a movie.…Let's take a look at a scene in which we created…the perspective that would never be possible in reality.…Check this out.…
Obviously, we could never film a scene…through real milk or fit a camera…inside a bowl of cereal.…But with a little bit of cinematic trickery,…we can create this illusion.…By placing your camera in unexpected positions…you can create an outlandish and fantastic feel…reminiscent of a comic book.…Although experimenting with unrealistic camera angles…
- The basics of composition
- Exploring the rule of thirds
- Comparing balanced and unbalanced compositions
- Understanding the importance of using establishing shots
- Working with point of view
- Modifying the height of the camera
- Understanding the lines of a scene
- Creating depth
- Incorporating unusual or unexpected angles
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Using viewfinder apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Intermediate
Video Production: Location Lightingwith Anthony Q. Artis59m 35s Intermediate
Camera Movement for Video Productionswith Eduardo Angel46m 48s Intermediate
1. Framing a Shot: The Basics of Composition
2. Establishing a Scene
3. Perspective and Movement
4. Dynamic Composition
5. Breaking the Rules
6. Technical Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.