Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Shot size, part of Cinematic Composition for Video Productions.
- In the world of cinematography,…there are a few different primary shots:…extreme long shots, long shots,…full shots, medium shots,…close-ups, and extreme close-ups.…These descriptions can refer to any subject or location,…but most often describe the human figure.…Let's take a look at a visual…representation of these five shots.…This is an extreme long shot.…This can be used effectively to establish…location and context for a scene.…
A long shot typically includes a subject's entire body…and a large proportion of the surrounding area.…It still gives the viewer a sense of location,…but also establishes the subject of the scene.…This is a full shot.…The name refers to the fact that the shot includes…the full body, from the feet up to the top of the head.…As we move closer to the subject,…we are reducing the field of view.…We are removing visual information.…
In this case, the surrounding background,…but at the same time, enhancing the details of the subject.…This is a medium shot.…It is close enough to include subtle variations…
- The basics of composition
- Exploring the rule of thirds
- Comparing balanced and unbalanced compositions
- Understanding the importance of using establishing shots
- Working with point of view
- Modifying the height of the camera
- Understanding the lines of a scene
- Creating depth
- Incorporating unusual or unexpected angles
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Using viewfinder apps
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Intermediate
Video Production: Location Lightingwith Anthony Q. Artis59m 35s Intermediate
Camera Movement for Video Productionswith Eduardo Angel46m 48s Intermediate
1. Framing a Shot: The Basics of Composition
2. Establishing a Scene
3. Perspective and Movement
4. Dynamic Composition
5. Breaking the Rules
6. Technical Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.