Ready to watch this entire course?
Become a member and get unlimited access to the entire skills library of over 4,800 courses, including more Video and personalized recommendations.Start Your Free Trial Now
- View Offline
This course was created and produced by Eduardo Angel. We're honored to host this content in our library.
- Understanding the role of lighting
- Lighting interior and exterior scenes
- Directing the viewer's attention
- Enhancing mood in a scene
- Achieving great light under harsh conditions
- Deciding on the right lighting style for your story
Skill Level Appropriate for all
- Hi, I'm Eduardo Angel. Welcome to Lighting Design for Video Productions. If you're a photographer transitioning to video or a filmmaker hoping to improve your productions through lighting, this class is perfect for you. Learning how to move the camera, record sound, and deal with footage in post are all important steps, but if you think about it, the essence of stills in motion is light. Both are creative interpretations of what we consider reality to be, and regardless of the medium what really matters is the story we're trying to tell.
Just because our cameras can capture images at extremely high sensitivities, it doesn't mean that we don't need to light. We will start this course by covering how lighting and location can work together to create the scene. Then, we will walk you through several different scenarios using natural and artificial light. In this course, we will cover how to guide the viewer's attention, reveal or obscure objects, add depth to a scene, and achieve a variety of moods and effects.
All of these through the proper use of light and often, with a few simple tools. You will see that you don't need a daylight studio to shoot high key, or work only at night time to recreate a low key scene. Our main goal is to prove that to understand why and what to light doesn't require a lot of equipment or a Hollywood budget; that we can harvest resources like natural and available light and work with practical lights to enhance our stories.
Sign up for a Premium Membership to download courses for Internet-free viewing.
Watch offline with your iOS, Android, or desktop app.Start Your Free Trial
After signing up, download the course here or from the iOS/Android App.