Join Eduardo Angel for an in-depth discussion in this video Lead room, part of Cinematic Composition for Video Productions.
- One of the beautiful aspects of film and video…is that it can completely draw us in…and transport us from our everyday world.…To accomplish this successfully, a piece must force…us to forget that we are watching a two-dimensional…projection on a clearly defined rectangular shape.…As a director, you definitely want…to keep the viewer's attention away…from the edges of the frame.…We can accomplish this by providing an ample…amount of lead room between our subjects…and the edges of the image.…
Lead room refers to the empty space between…the subject and the border of the frame.…In other words, it is about framing what is not…in the frame; something especially important…when filming people.…Whether it is on the street or on a big screen,…it is in our nature to follow the gaze of a person,…to see what they are looking at.…So when a character is positioned at the edge…of a frame and staring off the edges of the screen,…it is rather unsettling for the viewer.…
This can create a claustrophobic undertone…and inevitably draws attention…
- The basics of composition
- Exploring the rule of thirds
- Comparing balanced and unbalanced compositions
- Understanding the importance of using establishing shots
- Working with point of view
- Modifying the height of the camera
- Understanding the lines of a scene
- Creating depth
- Incorporating unusual or unexpected angles
- Knowing when to break the rules
- Using viewfinder apps
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Foundations of Video: Interviewswith Anthony Q. Artis1h 55m Appropriate for all
Up and Running with DSLR Filmmakingwith Chad Perkins1h 10m Appropriate for all
Video Production Techniques: Location Lightingwith Anthony Q. Artis59m 39s Appropriate for all
Camera Movement for Video Productionswith Eduardo Angel46m 52s Appropriate for all
1. Framing a Shot: The Basics of Composition
2. Establishing a Scene
3. Perspective and Movement
4. Dynamic Composition
5. Breaking the Rules
6. Technical Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.